1. Home>
  2. Historical Walk in Shirakawa>
  3. Building information>
  4. Shibuki Chaho

Shibuki Chaho

Shibuki Chaho 

In 1880, Shibuki Chaho first started its history in Yokomachi. Keijiro Shibuki is the founder of Shibuki Chaho and he began his enterprise, called Shibuki Shoten, independently of his familyin the Yaoyamachi area of Shirakawa. In 1890, the shop moved to its current location where Keijiro Shibuki began Kuki-en Chaho and later changed the name to Shibuki Chaho. Although he had originally started out in sericulture, he eventually moved into the tea business.

The shop faces the old Oshu Road and its structure is of the traditional kiritsumaand hirairi construct. Behind the shop, there is a residence consisting of the main house with an inner courtyard and a zashikigura in the further back. The building style reflects the traditional townhouse mode of Shirakawa. These buildings were built in 1890.

Designated as a Historically Scenic Landmark by Shirakawa City on July 21st, 2011.

Search detailed location

Building information

Location

Motomachi

neighboring area

Era of construction

Meiji

Open to public

External view only