1. Home>
  2. Historical Walk in Shirakawa>
  3. Building information>
  4. Onoya Dyehouse

Onoya Dyehouse

Onoya Dyehouse 

     Onoya Dyehouse was founded in early Meiji by Fukuzo Ono and the current owner is the fourth head of the shop. During the Meiji and Taisho eras, four or five dyehouses lined up on this street.

The traditional kiritsuma-and-hirairi-style townhouse constructed in 1929 faces the street and the second floor features latticework and segai eaves. A residence from around 1888 stands behind the store. Its dirt floor connects to the store and eight large jars are buried in here. These jars are used for dye materials such as the dried and fermented balls of indigo leaves and are considered valuable remnants of the dyehouse industry.

Designated on March 12th, 2012.

Search detailed location

Building information

Location

Shinkuramachi

neighboring area

Era of construction

Meiji

Open to public

External view only

Business at time of construction

Dying