1. Home>
  2. Historical Walk in Shirakawa>
  3. Building information>
  4. Naraya Gofuku

Naraya Gofuku

Naraya Gofuku 

     Naraya Gofuku was founded in 1881, by the fifth generation scion of Abe family, Kinjiro. Prior to entering the kimono business, Kinjiro was trading in oils and sugar. Later, in mid-Meiji (1868-1912), Kinjiro and his company became a distributor for bicycles.

     The current shop was built in 1913; it is constructed of both wood and brick and combined with the residence. The first floor consists of the entrance and a 12 tatami-mat space for the shop. Three Japanese rooms in the backwas used as the residence at the time. The second floor consists of two large Japanese rooms with alcoves, and sets of staggered shelves, which are all left as they were at the time the family lived there. The storehouse was built in 1893, and is constructed of black shikkuiand its double doors open to the street. The shop and the storehouse integrate interestingly to create a sense of imposing profundity.

Designated as a Historically Scenic Landmark by Shirakawa City on July 21st, 2011.

Search detailed location

Building information

Location

Ichibancho

neighboring area

Era of construction

Taisho

Open to public

External view only

Business at time of construction

Kimono retail